September 23, 2020
Share this on


We are seeing COVID on the rise in Arizona. The Latinx community makes up more than 25% of the known positive cases, showing one example of how communities of color are bearing the brunt of this pandemic. In addition to our individual health, we know many in the community need resources and assistance.

There are resources available in government and non-government resources. These occur because organizations and individuals have fought for community resources. It is important to be aware of what is available for you. This support is not charity, it is the right of our community.  

We’re constantly updating our resources list.


St. Mary’s Food Bank

Number: 602-242-FOOD (3442)

St Mary’s Food Bank provides food assistance to the majority of Arizona. 

The website allows you to search for food near you, meals for Kids (children between 0-18), a mobile pantry to learn where food is being distributed throughout the state. The calendar shares information of what day, time, and location.

Food is available for need and does ask for immigration status. It is recommended that if you are getting food assistance that you bring an ID (any ID is accepted) and a piece of mail to show you live in Arizona.

Arizona Food Bank Network

Maintains network across the state of food banks. You can search a food bank near you by looking at the bilingual page 

You can also text Food or Comida to 877 877 to find a food assistance near you.

Pandemic EBT:  Most families should have received one in their home.  IF you haven’t received it please go to the Department of Economic Security and apply.

Senior Food bank support call: 602-264-4357



List of Community Action Agencies in Arizona.  Each agency can provide help with rent and utility assistance and other items. 

Every utility company in the state has utility assistance. Call your utility company and ask them for assistance.  

  • SRP:  call 602) 236–8888 request low income assistance
  • APS:   call 844-309-5655 to request low income assistance
  • Southwest Gas: call 877-860-6020 and select option 3 

Programs specifically for COVID assistance:

  • Phoenix Cares–funds available for residents especially include Refugees and some immigrants. $300 Credit on water bill, $600 credit on electric/gas and $300 for rent or mortgage/month. Requirements: 
    • Household negatively affected by COVID
    • Household is in Phoenix,
    • Lawfully present in Arizona. 
  • Maricopa County Human Services Rental and Eviction Rental Assistance
    • Maricopa County does not have an immigration requirement and has up to $4,500 in assistance. 


Friendly House

Friendly house provides various support for families, youth services, adult education and immigration services.  They also support emergency services.

Call 602-345-0167 M-F 8am-6pm

Services include assistance with SRP (including M-Power), APS, SWG, Water and Utility deposit. They provide assistance usually once every 12 months but if Friendly House can’t help you they can refer you to other places.

Friendly House has a maximum they can provide to each company. Each case is different so we recommend that you call Friendly House to see if we are able to help you.

Please leave voicemail with your full name, phone number, name of the company, and how much you owe to the company.

Support from Friendly House does not ask about immigration status


Application process: provide copies of required documents.  If approved, Friendly House will pay the company directly.

Society of St. Vincent de Paul

Society of St. Vincent de Paul’s mission to feed, clothes, house, and feel. They are part of Wildfire funds and have personal fund and other grants. They provide utility or rental assistance.

Tips to work with agencies

  • Stay Positive
  • Prepare your paperwork to receive funds as most ask for similar funds. Those that get processed fastest are those with all paperwork. Prepare copies of your documents to help with application
  • Read and understand the application  
    • During COVID very few agencies are seeing people in person.  Most are doing it via email, mail, text or fax.
    • There are resources available regardless of immigration status


Arizona Alliance for Community Health Centers

Provide assistance to enroll in health insurance for families, Kidscare, or SNAP (food stamp).  Provide dental and pediatric services on a sliding scale.

Covid Testing is available at various Community Health Centers Monday-Friday.  They have few kits and many Community Health Centers are for clients.  If you are a patient or enroll as a patience for a Community Health Center. Call to set up an appointment.

You do not need health insurance and immigration status is not asked. 


Arizona Undocumented Workers Fund 

Provides assistance to undocumented families. To sign up for help you can call the following number 480-787-5599 provide a message with your name and a call back number. 

Foundation for senior living

Contact FSL’s Care by Design Program for more information by calling 602-285-0505 ext. 180 or via email at carebydesign@fsl.org

Contáctese con el programa de Care by Design de FSL para más información. Llame al 602-285-0505 extensión 180 o envíe un correo electrónico a carebydesign@fsl.org

Most programs will ask for the following information:

AZ Driver’s License or Identification Card

Proof of U.S. citizenship, permanent legal residence (LPR), or other qualifying immigration status such as refugee or current temporary protected status (TPS)

Proof of permanent residence, such as a lease, deed or property tax bill

Social Security cards or numbers, birth certificates or school records for all household members including children

Income verification of all household members 18 years of age and older for the last 30 days (paystubs, social security, award notices, unemployment Insurance, pension funds or disability, etc.)

Copies of all current utility bills.

Utility Termination Notice (if you have received a shut-off notice or delinquent notice from your energy company)

Statement showing utility allowance if you are living in subsidized housing, such as Section 8.

Recent stories